01 November 2022

Review of Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson

 



AD/PR: I received a copy of this book to review from the publisher.


Shrines of Gaiety is set London in 1926. As the world is moving on from the horrors of the First World War, the party scene in London’s nightclubs has never been so vibrant and wild. No place is this more evident than in Soho in one of Nellie Coker’s clubs.


Nellie Coker is a notorious nightclub owner who has just been released from 6 months in prison. Her family gather round her as soon as she is out, but there are others who have their sights on Nellie and her empire.


The novel is told from multiple perspectives and I loved this, as you feel like you get to know all of the characters well. 


Chief Inspector Frobisher is watching Nellie and he is sure that she is connected to mysterious spike in young girls disappearing from the streets of London.


When Yorkshire Librarian Gwendolyn Kelling arrives in London searching for two missing girls called Freda and Florence, she heads straight to Frobisher. However, she is soon roped in and more deeply involved in looking for the girls than she imagined.


Shrines of Gaiety is part mystery, part romance and part crime novel set against the backdrop of the roaring twenties. I really liked the setting of Soho, as I know this area very well.


I loved this book and I couldn’t put it down. It is the first book that I have read by Kate Atkinson and I now can’t wait to read her previous novels.


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS